Sunday, September 7, 2014

New Beginnings (WR 1)

Welcome to my 2014-2015 ISM blog! On this blog I will be showcasing all the work and progress I make this year. Every week, I will be posting a blog about the projects and achievements I have compleated in the previous week. For those that do not know, ISM stands for Independent Study Mentorship. ISM is an opportunity for students to study and be mentored by a professional in their respective field.

This year in ISM, we hit the ground running. From the very first class we have been working, researching, preparing, and practicing. Within the first week I created a mission statement, chose a quote that pertained to my ISM journey, and gave my first speech. We were told that we had to give a speech the second class about ourself and our topic. Initially, I thought it would not be difficult but once I stood in front of my peers, I was terrified. Normally, I do not get nervous speaking in front of people but for some reason I could not think normally. Afterwards, we talked about body language and how it is crucial when speaking in front of an audience. I learned a lot about things I had never thought about before and will definitely be practicing for future speeches.

The other things I did was complete my mission statement and choose a quote. While writing my mission statment, I really had to think about what my purpose and and goals would be for ISM this year. This was good because it gave me a vision for this year and a statement to operate by. The next thing I did was choose a quote that would represent how I would operate in ISM. I choose a quote by Henry Ford that said that life was a series of experiences that develop character.  Then at the end, it says that the most important thing is to keep marching onward. I interpret this as no matter what happens, I need to keep moving forward and never give up on my dreams.

Both my mission statement and quote can be found on the "About Me" tab.