Sunday, September 21, 2014

Practice Makes Perfect (WR 3)

As the year progresses, naturally every class gets more rigorous.  This is especially true when it comes to ISM. The most recent week in ISM was all about practicing and preparing for the evident launch into the real world. In class, we practiced making professional phone calls to prepare us for actual phone calls when it really matters. This was extremely helpful because it helped calm some of my nerves on the subject. We rehearsed every possible different situation so that we are prepared and know what to say with any given question. The most important thing I learned through this process is that smiling on the phone is very important. Even though the person on the other side of the phone can not necessarily see you, smiling subconsciously helps with your tone and thus makes you sound happier and more pleasant.

Another thing I did this week, was complete the rough draft for my resume. Having an outstanding resume is a crucial part of ISM, and life in general. I will use my resume for many things throughout the year including research interviews. An interesting fact that I learned/used while creating my resume was that employers typically look at your resume for thirty seconds or less. This means that I tried to make my resume stand out, but also keep it simplistic and just have the necessary information to showcase myself in the best way possible.